Outfit & Thoughts || Give It a Rest!


  Hello all! If you've been following this blog for any length of time, you know that shades of blue are my favorite colors. Blue is a color of relaxation. Today, please join me for a blue outfit and some words on rest. :)


Daffodils and new mint Converse - two of my favorite things


  I am a low-energy person. Over time, I've had to learn and accept my limitations for what can be done on any given day or week. At times like these, when I'm recovering from a cold and my strength is sapped, it's frustrating to be able to do even less than usual. As women, we have trouble resting sometimes, don't we?

  We have near-constant pressure coming from every angle. From the world, a thousand voices are telling us "Be beautiful, be strong, have a career, raise well-adjusted children, champion social justice, travel, eat healthy...but love yourself just as you are!" From the church, we Christian ladies have more voices telling us "Be content as a single woman, participate in ministry, be the kind of woman a godly man wants to marry, be a model wife, have your quiet time every morning, become a missionary, have amazing homemaking skills..."

   On any given day we could be simultaneously creating "on-fleek" eyebrows, while trying to remember it's all about inner beauty, baking a batch of cookies moments before heading to a fast-paced job and wanting to have enough energy for a Bible study tonight where we hope no one asks us what we read in the Word this morning because we slept in...It's enough to make a girl want to scream. And sometimes, we do, at whoever happens to be handy.


   As in all things, we have to ground ourselves in the Word. When we feel like we're about to pass out from lack of mental oxygen, the truth lets us catch our breath. What does the Bible say is the most important thing to get done? Solomon summed it up well in Ecclesiastes 12:13, where it says "The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person." Serving God is the overarching goal for the lives of His servants. Here's something specifically for women: "Your adornment must not be merely external—braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:3-4). I'm pretty sure working on this spirit will occupy us enough without stressing about all the other things that don't really matter.

   Speaking of stress, you need to give it a rest! I'm talking to me here. Not all of scripture is telling us to get to work. Psalm 37:7 tells us to rest in the Lord. And just take a look at Jesus' words in Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”" That sounds like the opposite of all the fretting you and I do!

   The world will always be the contradictory, evil, lie-filled world. Meanwhile, the church must speak God's truths. As believers, we are the church. If I put pressure on myself and you to be my extra-biblical ideal of perfection, we'll both suffer for it. Instead, let us give each other permission to live, to try and fail and to rest in the Lord's all-sufficient grace.
  
  

Comments

  1. Thanks for the lovely post, Paige! This is awesome--and I can definitely relate. It's good to have some encouragement to rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! :) I'm glad that you were encouraged. <3

      Delete
  2. Those mint converse...LOVEEEE!!! Give me a pair! <33 and daffodils?? spring?? i want some of that too. xDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! All the best things in life, right?! :D I hope you find your mint Converse. ;)

      Delete
  3. Definitely needed the reminder today! :) thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, my friend! :) I'm glad to have my blog used as an encouragement.

      Delete
  4. I love this outfit!! It is SO cute and modest!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I have to say I am envious of you having daffodils blooming! They are so beautiful:) you picked the perfect color combination to express the colors of blue. Love your polka dot shirt along with denim shirt tied up with a feminine flare! Final touch mint converse really all looks so cute on you. Nice to be reminded it's alright to rest and find contentment in our busy lives:) I have a bad weather school closing day off today thought perfect opportunity to get the cleaning I have been putting off. Does feel good to have accomplished it. Taking a break I read your post just right for taking a rest. Good passages to reflect on. Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, spring starts early here. :) I'm so glad that you liked the outfit and the devotional. Oh, it's great that you took advantage of unexpected time off to get some chores done. It's nice to relax after getting something accomplished!

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry, I forgot to leave my name above. It was Stephanie. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so needed,may the LORD richly bless you! And fill you with His peace
    S B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that this spoke to you! Thank you my friend. :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks Paige, I needed to hear this! May God richly bless you and fill you with His peace and joy
    S B

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love this outfit! And blues happen to be my favorite too :D

    thanks for the encouraging words as well. We just had a sermon on this same topic this past Sunday...I feel like God is trying to tell me something lol :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch Amanda! Ooh, fun. ;)
      Heehee, that's the way it works, isn't it? :)

      Delete
  10. I loved, loved, loved this post.(And your outfit too! ;)) I recently started working part time on top of my regular volunteer work and my computer job and I find myself frequently exhausted mentally and physically. This post really blessed me and reminded me to refocus on the simple things--fearing God and keeping His commandments. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm so glad this encouraged your heart! <3 It sounds like you are busy lady! I pray that you will find rest in the Savior. :)

      Delete
  11. "My extra-biblical ideal of perfection" << YES AMEN.

    Preach it, sister! :) I'm so glad you wrote this post and that we can all start to be more honest and real and content to rest in GOD'S strength, not our own. Thank you! :)

    (P.S. Oh, also, it's so cool that you play the hammered dulcimer! I was only relatively recently exposed to it, and I thought it was really neat!

    Blessings from a sister in Christ :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Olivia! ^_^ I'm glad that you enjoyed this post. It's something I need to be reminded of daily!
      Ooh, how fun! The dulcimer is not common in my area, so most people ask me what it is. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you soon! I enjoy hearing from you! :) Please avoid saying anything profane, rude, or suggestive. I verify the comments to fight spam.Thanks for your consideration!

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Fashion How To ~ Middle Ages

First Day in Red

Outfit || Classic in Black & Pink