Photography & Encouragement || Gentle and Quiet?

  Hello friends! I'm not sure how many of my old followers are still on the blogosphere, as it seems most of us have moved on to new chapters in life. I myself haven't checked in here in months! The other day, however, a scripture stood out to me as something I might share a quick post about. So here to brighten your weekend are a few snippets from God's Word along with some photography from the past year.

  Before I begin, let me give you a brief update on my life. Last week, my husband and I celebrated our first anniversary. We enjoyed the special day with fancy takeout, as our area is still somewhat shut down from the pandemic. That is something I would be glad to be done with. ;) However, the adjustment of being a homemaker has made me enjoy the slower pace of social life as I manage the responsibilities of being a part-time office worker, full-time wife, friend and daughter. Each day has me properly worn out! Meanwhile, I've been able to transform the house from a bachelor pad to a cozy home. My Christmas decorations were few and humble, but I enjoyed the homey look they gave for our quiet festivities. There are still a few furniture items on our radar to pull together the living room. Perhaps someday I'll do a home tour for you. ;)

   Now for the scripture that stood out to me. The chapter of 1 Peter 3 starts out with an admonition to wives, though I think the verses we look at will apply to any woman. Verses 3-4 state:

"Your adornment must not be merely the external—braiding the hair, wearing gold jewelry, or putting on apparel; but it should be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God."

There is a lot that could be unpacked in these two verses, but I want to focus on verse 4. In fact, I want to hone in on two words. Gentle and quiet

   In our modern world, it seems that being loud and making your voice heard are considered virtues.  There is  certainly a right time to speak out about things that are wrong. It is also right to proclaim the gospel clearly. There are also personality and gifting differences to be allowed for - some women are shy, some are bubbly, and some are gifted speakers, while others are behind-the-scenes comforters. At the same time, we must recognize that there is a difference between being bold for God's truth and being brash or being outspoken just for the sake of it. 

   If we are to have gentle and quiet spirits, what exactly does that mean for our lives? If this is precious in God's sight, it certainly must be important! Let me share with you a few definitions and cross references to shed some light on these words.

Strong's Definition of "Gentle"πραΰς praÿs, prah-ooce'; apparently a primary word; mild, i.e. (by implication) humble:—meek.

Webster's 1828 Dictionary Definition of "Meek":

1. Mild of temper; soft; gentle; not easily provoked or irritated; yielding; given to forbearance under injuries.

Now the man Moses was very meek above all men. Numbers 12:3.

2. Appropriately, humble, in an evangelical sense; submissive to the divine will; not proud, self-sufficient or refractory; not peevish and apt to complain of divine dispensations. Christ says, 'Learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and ye shall find rest to your souls.' Matthew 11:29.

Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth. Matthew 5:5.

Here is a cross reference from the words of Christ:

Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls

Matthew 11:29



Strong's Definition of "Quiet": ἡσύχιος hēsýchios, hay-soo'-khee-os; a prolonged form of a compound probably of a derivative of the base of G1476 and perhaps G2192; properly, keeping one's seat (sedentary), i.e. (by implication) still (undisturbed, undisturbing):—peaceable, quiet.

Now here's a cross reference (the only one!) from Paul's letter to Timothy:

First of all, then, I urge that requests, prayers, intercession, and thanksgiving be made in behalf of all people,  for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.

1 Timothy 2:1-2

   I will let you draw your own conclusion from the above, and perhaps be inspired to do more of your own study. What I get from my research on these particular words is that a godly woman isn't  proud and out to make sure she's the loudest voice or getting the most attention. She is not one who is not argumentative or easily upset. Perhaps she even has a peaceful presence of calm trust in the Lord. Oh, I know how badly I need to be more gentle and quiet in spirit! May we all pray that the Lord would help us to be so. <3


Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. 

Ephesians 6:10

Comments

  1. I was glad to hear from you. Congratulations on your 1st anniversary. Happy that you and yours are doing well. We are staying safe. We only go out to mail letters and to the bank. We order our groceries on line. Keep in touch. God Bless.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. ^_^ Glad you are staying well! <3

      Delete
  2. Hello Paige,


    Oh how we desperately need the mercy of the Lord ! Thank you very much for your sharing and your encouraging words.

    May God keep blessing you and your family.


    Amélie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen it is true! I'm glad you were blessed. Have a lovely March!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you soon! I enjoy hearing from you! :) Please avoid saying anything profane, rude, or suggestive. I verify the comments to fight spam.Thanks for your consideration!

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Fashion How To ~ Middle Ages

First Day in Red

Outfit || Classic in Black & Pink