Seven Things That Inspire Me

   The main purpose of the blog is to inspire you, the reader, in your fashion endeavors. In order to do this, I, the writer need to have some material which will inspire you. This begs the question, where do I come up with my ideas for style? Stay tuned, because I’m about to tell you, in case you hadn’t guessed. ;)

 

1: Books
   I have read just about every book about clothing I can get my hands on (that is, if they fall in the spectrum of “books with lots of pictures”). This has been going on since long before I ever thought of writing a blog; it’s just something that has inexplicably fascinated me. It all began with books about historical costume, which I have always enjoyed drawing, especially in illustrating my stories. As I got older, I became more interesting in modern fashion and what different kinds of styles there were. Many authors of fashion have great information to offer about how to achieve different looks, try new styles and how dress for your shape and coloring. I just have to filter it all through the lenses of modesty and feasibility (I may never invest in a Prada handbag, thank you very much.)

 

 
2: Movies

   For several years now, I have enjoyed watching classic films. These are the movies that I mainly gain inspiration from. The women of bygone days seemed to have elegant femininity seldom seen today. I like to imitate looks from different eras, and watching the films and looking up pictures of classic actresses is helpful in this.

 

3: Friends
   Wow, do I know some ladies with great style! Not only do I see great style all around me, but also a sense of modesty and a talent for maneuvering through second hand stores. The photograph above is of several friends and I after wrapping gifts for the pregnancy care center I volunteer at. In case you ladies are looking at this, I want to let you know that I blurred out your faces for privacy. I promise I like your faces. ;) Whether I’m actually thinking about it or not, the people around me give me ideas of what to try wearing next. My mom and I definitely have different styles, yet she is always giving me new ideas and recommendations.



4: People Watching
   
    I live in an area that is, well, sort of artsy and eccentric. People can wear just about anything they want to and no one will be surprised. This can be a down-side, but it also can be a good thing because many ladies are free to be creative in their style and not fit into the mold of the current look. I've seen some adorable outfits and vintage garb around town that make me want to be more imaginative with my wardrobe.

 


5: The Occasional Trend
   I wouldn’t exactly say that I dress in a trendy manner. There are plenty of things out there right now that "everyone is wearing" which I’m not really interested in. At the same time, I think that we have many cute fashions available to us right now, and like to incorporate them into what I wear. The chambray shirt and tailored winter jacket are just two examples of clothes that have been "in" that I like. Modern fashion is not to be entirely discounted.

 

6: Blogs
  
   This is a more recent development. I never really read blogs before I wrote my own, except for the occasional hair tutorial or some such thing. After beginning Sunday Best, I started following blogs by several creative gals with the same interests. Not only has joining the blogosphere been fun, but I'm also getting great ideas from the fashion blogs I follow!



7: Necessity - The Mother of Invention

  My top inspiration for my outfits each day is ......*drumroll please*..... that I need to use whatever is clean, ironed, and appropriate for the day's activities and weather conditions! In other words, much of time I just slap together something that looks cute but doesn't have a lot of intellect behind it. These are the times when I use my "go-to" items.

   There you have it folks! These are the things that get my style juices flowing. What about you? Where do you get your fashion inspiration?
   If you have noticed that my blog looks different, it's because I was home with a cold the other day and had the grand idea of changing my blog template. Then I changed it back, but I realized that my buttons were gone and customized fonts were gone and I needed to redo things. So, hopefully that will be remedied soon. :) The customizing option isn't working right now, which I believe to be related to the problems I previously mentioned. In any case, I'm glad that I can post here at least! :D I hope that you are all having a lovely weekend.
 
"By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established; by knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches."
- Proverbs 24:3-4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Fashion How To ~ Middle Ages

First Day in Red

Outfit || Classic in Black & Pink