All About Glasses Part I


All About Glasses Part I

   Glasses. For some of us, they're a part of life so familiar that we put them on every morning without a conscious thought. For others, they're used for switching with contact lenses when needed. Others just use them for reading. For all glasses wearers, they can sometimes be seen as a necessary evil. In this two-part series I'd like to encourage my fellow four-eyes by telling my story, showing how glasses can be beautiful, and sharing tips about looking your best in specs. Even if you don't wear glasses, feel free to join and learn!
My Four-Eyes Story


  At the ripe old age of seven years old I went to a routine exam at the doctor's office and it so happened that I failed at reading the eye chart. That fateful day began my life's journey with glasses. I began with child-size wire frames and continued wearing that style for about nine years. One of my pairs even had cute little stars shapes on the sides!

As I got older, it became time to step up the style game. At age sixteen I got plastic frames that had a darker color on the outside and a lighter color on the inside. I went through two pairs of that particular style. During this time, I also moved on from bifocals with an obvious line to blended lenses - teenage girls and visible bifocals just don't quite mix.

 After entering my twenties, I have turned to new glasses for this next chapter of life. My latest frames are a completely new style for me with their rimless-on-the-bottom look. So far, I'm really liking their mature but fun look and the way they complement my face's size and coloring.

Glasses Can Be Beautiful!


Source 
   
   For years, glasses had a stigma attached to them - they were for the people who were nerdy and smart and could only be beautiful by taking off their specs. Now, we're living in an era that uses glasses as fashion accessories, even for those who don't need them. They just might go out of style again, but one thing that remains is that there will be people with bad vision. Does that mean they have to be relegated to being unattractive behind their frames? No way! There are plenty of beautiful people who wear glasses, and by choosing the right kind they can look great.





Next week I'll be covering finding the right glasses for your face shape and how to wear makeup that looks nice behind your lenses! Now it's time for your feedback.

Have you ever worn glasses or contacts?
If you've worn glasses, what styles have worked or not worked for you?


Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
Nor have entered into the heart of man
The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.
1 Corinthians 2:9


Comments

  1. Hello! I'm a new(ish) reader. I've worn glasses or contacts for over ten years now, so as a fellow bespectacled lady, I look forward to hearing makeup tips. My favorite style for my frames is tortoiseshell anything - it goes with everything. Warby Parker is my preferred place to get them, because they send them to you at home to try for a few days and are pretty reasonably priced (as well as super trendy). Can't wait to hear more about glasses from you! - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren! Thanks for following. :)
      Ooh, fun! I've always bought my glasses at my optometrist's office; she usually has a decent selection. :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting post, Paige! The only glasses I wear are sunglasses, but I do have plenty of friends and family who wear glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany! :) Yes, there are quite a few of us out there.

      Delete
  3. Nice post! Obviously I don't wear glasses myself, but it's an interesting read! :) I've never worn any besides as a costume accessory (I'm not /enough/ of a hipster to just wear frames, hee hee) but I know for sure the horrible little round John Lennon style ones look terrible on me and everyone else in the universe (including John Lennon). My deep thoughts on glasses, right there. bam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Hehe, yeah....something about those just makes me hesitate from recommending them. Hard to say what. Just something. :\

      Delete
  4. I think you look stunning in your glasses, dearest Paige!
    And glasses are actually very funky and fashionable now! At the moment I only have sunglasses, but I know I probably need some for reading:-)
    Hope your day is a beautiful one, my friend!
    Hugs,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly-Anne! :) Yes, there are so many frames to choose from!
      If you decide to get any I hope my posts are helpful to you. :)
      Hope you have a lovely day as well!

      Delete
  5. Yes, I got a pair of oval shaped glasses before me and my family came to England as missionaries. But then I lost them sometime when we were here. So I'll need to go to the eye doctor sometime. I hope whenever I go again, that I get the sort of like the ones you have. But with the colour rim all around the glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-oh, I hope you can get a new pair soon and find what you like. :) You and your family are missionaries to England? Very cool!

      Delete
    2. Yes we are. :) In November it will be 5 years since we have come here. My parents have 10 children. I'm the 5th child. :) So right in the middle!

      Delete
  6. Great post! (: I was actually told that I need to wear glasses when I'm reading/writing and etc...but I don't. Whoops! I love glasses and how they look as long as you get a pair that suits you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kalin! :D Heh-heh, oops! I'm sure it's hard to remember when you only wear them now and then.

      Delete
  7. Love this post! And I love your blog! (especially the color scheme!) I have had glasses for almost a year now. I looked at them negatively but now I know that I would still have problems with seeing, etc. I'm now glad that I have glasses, and I think everyone should be glad too. :) I have used colorful glasses...they work great for me since I love bright colors!
    Thank you for the encouragement! I'm excited for part 2!!!!!

    Allie
    www.chroniclesofallie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Allie! :D I'm glad that you enjoyed this post so much. It's also great that you have come to see glasses in a new way. We are indeed blessed to even have the option to wear them!

      Delete
  8. I started wearing glasses when I was about fifteen. I wasn't so sure about them when I first got them but now I love them! I like how nerdy they make me look... lol. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee! It's great to hear that you like them. :D

      Delete
  9. I got glasses about 8 years ago. One of my eyes is weaker than the other so one eye strains to make up for the other. The eye doctor said it wouldn't really hurt to not have glasses, but it would also reduce the strain in my eyes if I did wear them. I got thin, purple wire framed glasses and use them for reading and sewing. I actually got a slightly stronger prescription about a year ago but haven't gotten around to getting any new glasses yet since I don't wear them too often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that makes sense that it would be a good idea to get glasses then. :) I am very near-sighted and have an astigmatism in one eye, so I have to wear them all day!

      Delete
    2. Except sometimes when reading or drawing close-up. ;P

      Delete
  10. I've had glasses from seven to sixteen until a friend of mine suggested contacts (I've got astigmatism too). It's easier for me to just pop them in and go since I tended to look over my glasses often and get headaches. The negative is that some days I forget to put them in and get a headache later on. :)
    @ndr@ K.
    www.andrasfinds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, cool! It's great that contacts work for you. :) A lot of people wear them, I've found.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's pretty cool that glasses are "trendy" now, but at the same time I find it an odd trend to wear prescription free glasses.

    I do wear glasses, really only for driving, but also the movies or anywhere I have to see long distances.

    I wear the chunky geek chic glasses, I figure, why hide it? I've tried square frames and like those too, but the bigger frames look better on me.
    Great post!
    Natasha
    A modest fashion blog:
    http://www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I find it funny too. But if people think glasses are cool, go for it. :)
      Oh, okay!
      You always look great in your geek chic frames. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you soon! I enjoy hearing from you! :) Please avoid saying anything profane, rude, or suggestive. I verify the comments to fight spam.Thanks for your consideration!

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Fashion How To ~ Middle Ages

First Day in Red

Outfit || Classic in Black & Pink