Hello all! I'm sorry to be posting this a bit late -better late than never, you know. ;) Today, I am presenting a topic of interest to me, as well as a new outfit. Scroll on down - I hope you enjoy this post!
Outfit Details: Cardigan ~ Consignment Store; Tank ~ Target; Skirt ~ ModCloth; Tights ~ Target; Shoes ~ Ross ........... Ironically, only one of these items was bought secondhand!
Shopping for clothes at secondhand stores is an economical choice and can offer variety and modesty to one's wardrobe. Two common secondhand stores I shop at are thrift stores and consignment stores. Thrift stores fund a non-profit organization, and offer items that have been donated. In contrast, a consignment store will give previous owners either part of the proceeds or store credit.
When shopping at a thrift store, you may feel a little grimy (this depends on the store) and find yourself noticing a few 1990's trends. Don't give up hope though! You may very well find some cute clothes for a low price. I know this from a deal of experience. ;)
While shopping at a consignment store, you can expect that the clothes will generally have a higher standard than thrift stores. You may also expect higher prices, though they will still be much lower than what you would pay for brand new garments.
When donating items to thrift stores, don't give them dumpy, shredded items. Things like pill-balled fabric, or a small hole or stain may be acceptable. On the other hand, if you are consigning items, use the clothes that are not obviously worn out. Consignment stores will also appreciate your garments from quality brands.
Thrift & Consignment Nutshell:
Thrift Store Pros: Thrift Store Cons:
* Low price * Items may not be in the best shape
* Purchase helps a charity * You are not compensated or given credit for
* You can donate items to help others
get affordable clothing
Consignment Store Pros: Consignment Store Cons:
* Items are generally in good shape * Higher price than thrift stores
* Consigning one's items means getting * They will be more picky about what old
part of the proceeds or store credit. items they will take from you.
Bonus Secondhand Tips:
* Shop in college towns to find more youthful fashions.
* Bear in mind that secondhand stores have items that are sized differently than what you may be used to. If you happen to see the numbered size on a garment, don't let it deter you.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
II Corinthians 1:3-4