Mint & Print // Books


  By this time you're probably wondering how on earth I keep finding all these blue and striped clothes! There will be more variety soon, but I can't guarantee how long it will last. ;) Hee-hee!




     Last weekend I went shopping, and came up with a few cute items (I'm still on the hunt for some decent jeans... :\ ). This darling mint cardigan was one of my finds. Yesterday I wore it with a blue tank and my go-to striped maxi skirt. Black boots and a vintage-inspired ponytail completed this cool-toned winter look.

 Outfit Details: Cardigan ~ Consignment Store; Tank ~ Gift from Mom; Skirt; Kohl's; Boots ~ Sears


  *                            *                           *

    Today I'm sharing a few books that I've enjoyed and/or found encouraging in recent years. I've included a few Christian biographies and some classic novels. They are all clean as far as intimacy and strong language go (there might be a little bit of mild language, and I will warn you of what I can remember). The bios do include some violence, so young or sensitive readers might want to have a parent or mentor review first. :)

Unfolding Destinies by Olive Fleming Liefeld - Do you remember the five missionary men who lost their lives in Ecuador in the 1950's? One of those men was Pete Fleming. His widow Olive tells about their relationship and the time leading up to and following the men's death. Getting a behind the scenes look at their lives was really interesting.

Death of a Guru by Rabi Maharaj- Though I haven't read this in a few years, I still remember the impression it had on me. This is the story of a young Indian man steeped in Hinduism and his coming to Christ. He went on to warn believers of the dangers of Eastern religions.

In The Presence of My Enemies by Gracia Burnham - Missionaries to the Philippines, Martin and Gracia Burnham, were kidnapped by terrorists while taking a short vacation. Gracia tells their story, and though sad, it's also intriguing. It was encouraging to read about how the Burnhams were real Christians who still needed God's grace to have victory over their sin.

Joni by Joni Eeareckson Tada - Paralyzed as a teenager by an accident, Joni Eareckson Tada has become a household name for many Christians. This book was written before she met and married her husband. It tells the story of her accident how it affected her life and relationship with Christ.

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell - I read this when I was about fourteen, then again last year - it was much easier to get through the second time! Though I enjoy the film adaptation, it doesn't do the book justice. It includes interesting characters, a window into the world of the mid 19th century, and a complex-but-clean romance.

Jane Austen's Major Novels - Instead of picking one or two, I'll just recommend the whole list (picking a favorite is hard). ;) They're each good for different reasons. Though not necessarily Christian books, they depict good morals and are free of embarrassing scenes. One heads-up I would give is that Northanger Abbey includes an annoying character that uses mild language to an excess. :(


   I hope that you have a few new books on your reading list now! My hope is to compile another list for younger readers full of fun books from my reading heydey (ah those pen-and-ink illustrations from the 60's <3). Until next time, happy styling and reading.


Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 
Philippians 4:8

Comments

  1. Paige!! That is a very fun "winter" look with *green grass* and flowers! It would be impossible for you not to look lovely with that in the background. Can you invite me to come spend some time with you in California?...

    All kidding aside, you do look great in that outfit. And you do know how to write eye-catching titles. I mean, how could I not click on something that said "mint" considering my predilection for a certain type of ice cream.

    Neat book list! I actually haven't read any of those! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha! Feel free to come visit any time. ;) What's funny is that in California, winter is the only time the grass is green.
      Thanks so much! Hee-hee. It is a good color and flavor. ;)
      You're so welcome! :)

      Delete
  2. This is one of my favourite outfits you've worn, dear friend...so feminine and lovely...I have discovered how much I love the colour blue! And such a pretty skirt...although quite often impractical, long skirts are fun to wear! And thank you so much for the book list...I have only read North and South and all Jane Austen's novels...now I am going to see if I can get these as my sisters and I are always on the lookout for good books! Have a blessed day! Much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks muchly! :D It definitely seems to be my favorite color. Ooh, I hope you find some of these books! Happy day to you too. :)

      Delete
  3. I love blue/mint colored outfits! I wear blue a lot! You look so gorgeous! <3 I have a new favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat - looks like we have more in common than just our name. ;) Thanks so much! <3

      Delete
  4. What a delish looking sweater ;) looks like some kind of candy or ice cream... >.> Nice book reviews, too! I'm actually not sure I've read any of those besides the Jane Austen ones, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! You can't go wrong with dessert-colored outfits. ;) Thanks! :) I should let you borrow N&S sometime.

      Delete
  5. I love your skirt!!!!!!!!!! I got a maxi skirt for Christmas and I apsolutely love it! It's so comfortable. :)
    I've never read any of the books that you listed. My sister has North and South, but I'm not really a fan of classics. I tried reading Emma, but I didn't get into it. I might try starting it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosalyn! Yes, they are comfy, aren't they?
      Hehe, classics aren't for everyone. :) I just really like them.

      Delete
  6. I love the skirt! And I love the way you layered the mint bolero/sweater with the blue tank-top. Mint is one of my favorite colors and you wear it so well! I can definitely see the aquatic theme in this outfit as well. All you need to add a necklace with an anchor-charm on a silver chain. ;)

    Dani xoxo
    a vapor in the wind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Danielle! Oh, that is a fabulous idea! ;) I'll have to try it sometime.

      Delete
  7. I would never have noticed all of the blue stripes if you had not pointed them out! :)
    I like your book list! I've read the last three you listed and want to read In The Presence of My Enemies. I hadn't ever heard of Unfolding Destinies, though I'm am familiar with that general story because I have read Through Gates of Splendor. I think I may add that book to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, okay, good. ;)
      Thanks! Oh, neat! I'm reading "The Persecutor" right now, and I remember that you recommended it on a book list once. So far I'm reading it faster than any book in a long time.

      Delete
    2. That's neat Paige! I remember thinking it was pretty easy to read. I hope you like it!

      Delete
  8. Nice outfit Paige. I think it makes you look taller. Besides the Jane Austen books and North and South, I haven't heard about the other books before. If I ever come across the other books, I will certainly read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlyn! :D Okay, that sounds like a plan! Glad you enjoyed the recommendations.

      Delete
  9. I didn't know Joni had a book! I'll have to add it to my list of books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Paige, you look very pleasant. The colors go good together. Side pony tail in your has adds a positive flair. I read Joni, very inspirational. Thank you for sharing the selection of books.Blessings Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) A low side-pony is a nice go-to look for keeping it fast and simple. You are so welcome!

      Delete
  11. Wow, I love that mint sweater! I know how hard it can be to find decent jeans *sigh* That book, Death of a Guru, sounds really interesting! I will try to read it this year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, isn't it cute? :)
      Oh, it is hard! Especially if you personally prefer *not* skinnies...
      It is a good one, and reminded me of God's grace.

      Delete
  12. I'm commenting again Pagie! ;) Last I knew you were not doing blogging awards but on the chance that you are again I tagged you for the Infinity Dreams Award!
    http://createdbythecreated.blogspot.com/2016/02/infinity-dreams-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no problem! :) It's been a while, so I think I will do this one! :D Thanks for the nomination.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you soon! I enjoy hearing from you! :) Please avoid saying anything profane, rude, or suggestive. I verify the comments to fight spam.Thanks for your consideration!

Popular posts from this blog

Historical Fashion How To ~ Middle Ages

First Day in Red

Outfit || Classic in Black & Pink